Friday, September 4, 2009

Pie in a Jar




My sister, Katie, and I get together about once a month to cook and craft...or just chill. Last week we decided to try out this fun idea we ran across...individual mini pies in jam jars! Check out our inspiration at: http://www.notmartha.org/tomake/piesbakedintinyjars/.
We made 3 different pie fillings just for fun, and used the classic Betty Crocker dough recipe with a few tweaks, I liked it enough to use it again for my second batch (yes, I had to make more after Nick and I finished off the first round):

Dough Recipe:
2 2/3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 T sugar
1 cup butter flavored shorting
7-9 tsp water
Combine dry ingredients, cut in shorting, add water and mix just until blended.
This recipe was perfect for 6 pies.

I love the jars we picked out...nice wide mouth jars, but very short and squatty like cupcakes.

When shaping the pie dough into the jars, we cut large circles then brought the edges up together gently forming a cup shape and slid it into the jar. This creats a ton of extra folds of dough inside, so we just pinched off the overlapping folds (sealing the torn edges) and used that to roll our for the top of the pie.

Bake at 375 until crust becomes golden...40 minutes out of the fridge, 1 hour out of the freezer. Don't forget to poke holes in the top to prevent eruptions.

For my second round I made blackberry filling from the zillions of berries we have picked from Gramma's yard (the berries are still coming and I can hardly keep up with them, it's wonderful!).
I made a quick, easy filling (just toss fresh berries with sugar and flour) that I'm a little disappointed with, next time I'm going to take the time to cook up my filling using the recipe that wonderful, talented, brilliant Ida showed me.

Ida's Berry Pie Filling:
On med heat, blend 6 cups berries and one cup sugar.
Bring mixture to boil, stirring constantly but gently...careful not to mush berries completely.
Add 1/3 cup cornstarch mixed with 1/3 cup water.
Stir until thickened.
Remove from heat.

This makes a thick, goey filling that I just love.

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment